Sunday 20 November 2011

Jamie Oliver's Bloomin Unbrilliant Chocolatey Fudgey Raspberry Brownies

I love Jamie and I love his recipes.  I think he is sincere and a force for good in the world.  So I am totally going to take the blame for this debacle of a brownie.  I say debacle - actually they tasted utterly delicious, but they're just too squidgy (a sentence I never thought I'd type) - and that's after I let them cook on for 10 minutes longer than the recipe dictated.

To be fair, I did muck about with the recipe (I took the sugar down to 320g, and I still think it was overly sweet.)  Also I used medium eggs, not large - an amazing chef recently told me that he only ever uses medium eggs;  less eggs should have made for a drier mix.  And I added 30g of dark chocolate chips.  None of these things should have caused too much trouble in the greater scheme of things.

It's a very easy recipe to make.  Here's the line-up:
Melt the butter and chocolate over hot water.  Sieve the dry ingredients together in a large bowl:
Mix the two together, then stir in your beaten eggs.  I then added raspberries and dark chocolate chips:
I baked for 35 minutes, as at the recommended 25 it was still totally wet in the middle.  As I said, the taste was awesome, and it has served to underline the fact that raspberries in brownies are also a force for good in the world.
I shall see how they develop overnight as I'm not a quitter.

postscript - I took the remainder in to work, and had supremely nice feedback, including the word 'stunning' - from a man whom I'd taken for a mute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment