Sunday 17 July 2011

Nigel Slater's brownies - day 2

I think it's important to know how a brownie stands up over the course of time.  While there's nothing quite like a still-warm brownie to make you feel that all is ok in the world, ideally you want to make a brownie that can last - theoretically - several days, for practical as well as regular-pacing-of-treats reasons.

I returned to this brownie today and was impressed.  While I still feel it's too crumbly for my liking, the flavour is excellent, and when you hit a melted chocolate chunk it really delivers on the delight front (much like the little chocolate fishy in Phish Food.)

Things I have learnt from this brownie:

My ultimate brownie will definitely have chunks of chocolate in it.
Ditto sea salt - I love a bit of salt to bring out the sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment