Sunday 7 August 2011

Triple chocolate brownies by Antony Worrall Thompson

My friend Baz raved about this triple chocolate brownie recipe so even though I'm deeply brownie-nut-averse I thought I'd be open minded.

Disturbingly I did not have enough dark chocolate in my home - a rare occurrence and one I put down to stoned poltergeists.   I was 4 ounces under - a shortfall I tried to bridge with white chocolate: big mistake.

Why did I not just go round the corner to Budgens and buy more chocolate? 

Because.  That's why.
So the first problem with using white and dark chocolate instead of just dark, is that when I came to melt the butter and chocolate together at stage 1, the white chocolate wouldn't melt.  The white chocolate should have melted before the dark because of its higher fat content.  However some errant chunks like this refused to lay down and die: 
I don't know if this contributed to the problems I had later - I suspect it didn't help.

I eventually reconciled myself to the rogue chunks, then added the sugar to the chocolate.  (I used10oz, not 12oz - I always under-sugar and find it usually works out fine.)
Then the eggs and vanilla essence.  Then fold in the flour:
 the milk and white chocolate chunks:
and pecans:
A quick note on my soux chef's shirt - on her request.  This is not just any old cowboy shirt, this is a cowboy shirt from Rockmount Ranch, a shop in Denver where they invented poppers (shirt poppers, not sniffing poppers) - so that cowboys wouldn't lose buttons if they snagged themselves while out wrangling.  Rockmount Ranch made Elvis's shirts, and some of the shirts for Brokeback.  It's an excellent shirt.  Digression over.
Right.  Finish folding in your chunks and nuts and you'll have this luscious scenario:
I baked them for 24 minutes.  Unfortunately they needed longer - a fact I only discovered when we were eating the brownies an hour later.  I should have stuck a skewer in, but I don't mind a gooey brownie - in fact I actively encourage it.
Triple chocolate brownie
I suspect the additional white chocolate did not help matters by contributing more fat to the equation.

From a taste point of view though these brownies were totally delicious.  Super chocolatey, excellent combo of white, milk and dark chocolates, the pecans were fine.  However, because of the vast amount of personal errors in making this, I'm going to rebake with correct chocolate and longer cooking time, and repost.  I wonder if putting less sugar in is also a problem...hmm...  Till next time.

Postscript:  The day after, these brownies had firmed up and were pretty damn luscious - a strong 8.5 out of 10.  Will definitely remake with key learnings, and repost.

No comments:

Post a Comment